I have a on going competition with my fishing buddies for who catch catch the first fish of each species. There are a couple of sunfish and panfish that I can not find in NJ ( or my bait can get past the bluegills to find them). If you could please help me find locations for these fish it would really help me. Your "secret" fishing spots will not be abused. Again thank you for your help. These are the categories that have not been caught:

1. Redear Sunfish

2. Longear Sunfish

3. Warmouth Sunfish

4. Redfin Pickerel

5. White Sucker

6. Golden Shiner

7. Gizzard Shad

Again, thank you for any help you can give me.

Posted Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:56 pm

I caught a decent sized golden shiner in a lake in manalapan/freehold right by the mall on rt 33 right across from peking pavillion, I Hadnt seen one since I was a kid fishing up state NY

Posted Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks. What did you catch it on? Hook size? Bait?

Posted Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:27 pm

I caught it from the shoreline in the early morning at around 7:15 or 7:30 am from what I recall, I was using ultra light tackle 6 lb test with a wordens 1/16 oz rooster tail that was black in color. It was near cover (lilly pads) in about 5 ft of water, I have had the most luck in this particular lake with rooster tails and spinnerbaits in varied colors.

Posted Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:17 pm

I caught a redfin pickerel in a small pond back in the woods off Culver Rd in Dayton when I was a kid. I think it was on a small inline spinner, probably a Panther Martin.

I also caught a longear sunfish in the Delaware upstream of the Fireman's Eddy access off Rt 29 just south of Lambertville. Again, probably a small inline spinner or jig/curly tail grub combination.

Ah the memories, LOL.

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 3:43 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links