Copper Sulfate was used in waters near me and I am not used to getting my clothes n gear completely bronzed , like dark I spent a half hour unspooling line and cleaning my gear off . Fish were hittin me practically at my feet , hazy water clarity I almost picked a fish up with my hands it just didnt see me till I touched it . I am puzzled and alot of stuff says its bad n has adverse affects on aquatic life n Humans .. Uh ohh .. wait , wait is that bad ...

Posted Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Hey Bassassin201,
This is the first time that I ever heard of this being done. So I had to look it up on-line. Read below on check out the attached link about "Copper Sulfate"

Copper sulfate - negative effects on lakes and ponds
Many individuals, question why Aquatic Biologists, Inc recommends never using Copper Sulfate for algae or aquatic plant management. This decision was actually made based on various research studies that took place prior to the start of ABI in 1977 and has been ongoing ever since. In a nutshell, these studies have found aquatic ecosystems suffer adverse environmental effects when Copper Sulfate is used.

These same research studies found chelated (chemically locked in) copper algaecides (Cutrine Plus, Cutrine Ultra, and Algymicin) are vastly superior to copper sulfate by providing longer contact (killing) time, increased stability in alkaline waters, longer lasting control, and lower dosage rates, while being more environmentally friendly.

Over time the use of copper sulfate can actually increase the frequency and severity of algae blooms. Copper sulfate quickly falls through the water column, allowing algae to be killed only on the day it is applied. Ultimately, Copper Sulfate accumulates within the sediment layer as a heavy metal precipitate. Once a build up of Copper Sulfate begins a sterile lake bottom is likely to develop as invertebrates are killed off. This includes insects and their larvae, crayfish, beneficial bacteria populations which inadvertently weakens the food chain. Over time we may notice a decline in our forage fish (fathead minnows for example), poor body condition in our game fish and an overall reduction in growth rates.

Points to Consider:

•Copper Sulfate has a short term effectiveness is often misused and overused.
•Copper Sulfate remains in the pond and does not bio-degrade.
•Copper sulfate can be toxic to fish and other organisms.
•Copper sulfate results in copper build up in pond sediments and creates a sterile bottom in the pond. Besides many important organisms, it kills beneficial bacteria.
•Chelated copper algaecides contain less elemental copper (7-9%) than copper sulfate (25%), yet are more effective.
•Chelated copper algaecides are effective for longer than copper sulfate because they stay suspended in the water column longer.
•Chelated copper algaecides are less toxic to fish and zooplankton than copper sulfate because they release the copper ion more gradually.
•Copper sulfate is more likely to contribute to rebound blooms of problematic algae than chelated copper algaecides.
•Copper sulfate, a solid, is more hazardous to product applicators due to inhalation exposure to dust particles.
•Copper sulfate bags are notorious for breaking when in storage or transport, creating hazardous material disposal problems.
•Chelated copper algaecides work better in alkaline or colder waters than copper sulfate.
•If a heavy build up of copper sulfate exists where dredging is to occur the dredged materials may be considered hazardous waste making disposal harder and more expensive.
We see this decision as being a considerable benefit to the lake and pond ecosystems we manage, as well as to our personnel who apply algaecides. We sincerely hope that other users of copper sulfate follow our lead and choose safer and more effective algaecides over copper sulfate.

http://www.aquaticbiologists.com/copper%20sulfate.shtml

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 am

WOOOOW ... I am speechless . Really though that seems extremely wreckless and naive . I just got off the phone with the security of the water n they say it has nothing to do with the dark reddish glazing on my clothes n gear ... I am confused if this is your drinking water how can it be safe with that in it .. They said the reddish color water is probably Red Tide .. WTF is that .. Supposedly its the over abundance of algae from the heat making the water turn redish in color . I cant say with complete certainty , but I can say the fish are definetly not biting n I am sick of cleaning my gear everytime I fish .. I am calling the main office tomorrow to get to the bottom of this .. Definetly expecting the run around and " it's fine " .. I wish ppl cared about what they did and who n what it affects , I dont mean fishing either if this is true , we are drinking poison ... Sad

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:38 pm

i have a similar case last year in this pond. it's a drainage pond so i doubt someone will dump chemicals in there... i think it was an algae bloom that was red that causes my gears to all become red stained..

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:08 pm

with the copper sulfate treatment do the rocks of the enpoundment turn that turquiose color, like an old penny? i have seen this at the east orange res. right next to turtle back zoo.

if you want to have a crappy day fishing, go there. though i did manage to get a dink on a jig. aside from that the lake looks bad and is extremely low.

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:14 am

Copper is used in the treatment of fish disease in the aquarium fish trade. Who knows what chemicals they are really putting into our waters for aesthetic purposes. A lot of lakes with people living on it have commisions and boards. They decide if the water is to be treated or not, for mosquitos, algae, invasive species etc. Im posotive that these methods have an adverse affect on all aspects of the lakes natural cycle.

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:44 am

Glutt u are right , it is said to kill crawfish n has beeen known to kill young fish . With that said I caught a couple dinks the other night n they seemed fine to me . Just right after it is applied give it a week or so cause the fish turn off for the most part .. the truth is that they do it for the algae n it only kills whats bloomed already it doesn't stop it from growing not to mention the Algae grows back worse then it did before ...

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm

I was scuba diving in Holiday Lake where they use it and it left a thick slime residue on the bottom of the lake. No algae on top, but slime on the bottom.

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:45 pm

In reference to the use of copper sulfate .My sons and I do a lot of fishing in the wayne n.j. area and we noticed a couple of lakes are being dosed with copper .Its so obvious the lack of wildlife in those lakes .We also have noticed a large die off of turtles since the app.of copper.The turtles seem to be dopey ,they don't move as fast ,there feet look as if they are swollen . Some look as if there is nothing outwardly wrong but there dead.Acouple of these lakes allow swimming.

Posted Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:08 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links