Well I was reading up on longnose gar and saw that they are found as far north as Delaware and south PA. Pretty close to NJ huh? Well I was just wondering if anyone might know something
about any in NJ? Just looking for some big, new gamefish.

Posted Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:20 pm

They are all over in Missouri... they get big but are very picky about taking lures.

I'm excited to go down to MD and try angling for the giant snakehead in the Potomac.

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 3:51 pm

mseidman

They are all over in Missouri... they get big but are very picky about taking lures.

I'm excited to go down to MD and try angling for the giant snakehead in the Potomac.

i think you can get a gift card for landing them. They're not a wanted species down there.

And you're right... Gar were all over Missouri. I was lucky to land one... however, had to hardest time trying to get the hook out of it. I wasn't expecting to land one... so wasn't ready for that many teeth!

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 8:23 pm

The snakeheads are a destructive invasive species. The fisheries dept in MD is having a drawing for a bass pro gift card in november for anglers that post pics of caught & killed snakeheads to their website. I figured it would make for a fun weekend trip.

Posted Thu May 24, 2012 8:44 pm

why go MD when we have it here in the DE river...
25 inches.. BAM

Last edited by rawr215 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:23 pm

I originally posted that back in May, before I read that they are now in south Jersey Delaware tributaries. Don't have to drive as far now.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:03 am

yeah.. anywhere directly across from the philly stadiums have them. From extensive research, they are low as Salem Canal and up to Crystal Lake Park... I wonder if they will get into Manor Lake and Van Sciver on the PA side... They will continue to spread.

But back on topic... do we have Gar around the area?

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 am

No gar that I have ever heard of or come across. That's how the conversation drifted to snakeheads.

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:52 am

that's what i've figured... but now that i've caught the SH.. i wanted something new Razz

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:53 am

Rawr, did u eat the bastard? I heard they are good eating.

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Anyone ever catch a bowfin? they are native to jersey. Mostly south i think, but i do believe they were put in wawayanda.

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:41 pm

it's in my freezer Razz

bowfin is also in the DE river and most of the tributaries. you can find out by your local tackle shops to see if they are around you.

To be honest.. Snakehead is nothing to fear. If you caught a snakehead or a bowfin.. you would agree that a bowfin > snakehead. The only reason why people fear snakeheads is because they breathe air which allows them to survive in horrible conditions.. but guess what.. bowfin can also survive in swampy areas up to a certain extent.. just can't breathe air like Snakeheads

Both Snakeheads and Bowfin guard their fries... it's just that snakeheads guard them... much longer Razz

and they both grow up to a foot their first year.

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:31 pm

I have caught 2 in my lifetime 1 was in florida 10 years ago and weighed about 3 lbs, the other was in Upstate Ny off of rt 17 north on a roadside swamp/lake and it weighed in the 7 lb range. I have not seen one for a long time..they are a protected species on the endangered list. Im sure there are some out there.

Posted Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:23 am

Bowfin also have a makeshift lung and can breathe air, or go into a form of estivation in the mud like a lung fish.

Posted Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:25 am

interesting.. they way they do their might be different. I believe snakehead are similar to betta fishes.

I've seen forums photos where people pull so many out... i think they eat them..

Posted Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:33 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links