There has been a lot of talk lately, about what is safe and what is not safe to eat from NJ water. FishSmartEatSmartNJ.org, provides a complete list of state and federal marine fish consumption advisories. This stuff is overlooked by the old timers, but its a growing concern for everyone, especially people who want to be healthy and people with kids. I love to hear "I eat and ate fish from there my whole life", well 30 years ago smoking was allowed indoors...that does not make it right...& I am a smoker. NJ has also been known for its Illegal dumping activities and a few bodies of water that I fish have been used for dumping. So this is just a heads up, to inform the uninformed.

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:25 am

Yes, NJ waters are not the best, but they are getting better slowly. Unfortunately we have to limit the consumption of the fish we catch. NJ is not the only state that has consumption warnings/guides. I have checked out other state fishing sites and they also have consumption warnings/guides.

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 am

I think its safe to say that 75 percent of waters around the U.S are polluted to some degree. I am not advocating not eating fish caught in NJ. But I am weary of where they were caught. This past weekend I spoke to a man who caught a Koi (introduced/invasive species) at a lake where they dumped chemicals in the 80's to the point where the algae glows at night, He was taking it home to eat. I find this disturbing..to say the least. I would not eat anything from that lake. I do eat fluke or flounder and stripers from Barnegat and some other areas, Id rather buy my fish though. As a chef for 15 years now, I have eaten and have access to fish that most people will never eat, I guess that makes me picky, but id prefer farm raised to wild caught.

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 pm

I agree with you on knowing the water condition of where your fish were caught before eating it. Be safe than sorry. I never heard of anyone eating KOI. Usually it's an ornamental pond fish used for viewing pleasure or status. I've eaten some fish that most people throw back, but this is a first for me. I wonder if he glows at night too. lol

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:11 am

I never heard of eating koi, Carp(related to koi) on the other hand is delicious, served in asian cuisine very frequently...That guy caught it on hand line wrapped around a can(talk about old school), I wonder how many he has eaten, since I see him every year fishing there? His poop probably glows... lmao

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:09 pm

i don't eat fish, but if i did....it wouldn't be from around here. God knows what has been dumped in jersey. I see alot of people keeping their fish, from ponds and small lakes, and i just silently wish them good luck and try to remember their faces in case i see them on the news as having been poisoned by some chemical filled fish

Posted Mon May 13, 2013 10:50 pm

G.W. Don't worry about all the stuff dumped in our rivers and streams. If you eat meat, chicken, grains, veggies, etc. It is all full of goverment approved chemicials. And thats not counting what comes from outside of the great USA.

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 am

yeah, i know all about the gov't and what they are up to with the food....and they wonder why everyone is getting cancer etc. Never feared my own gov't before...welcome to the new america

Posted Tue May 14, 2013 9:45 pm

I never eat fish from fresh water, but I do from saltwater. I figured that these saltwater fish are relatively the same a far as chemicals. Never eat eels.

Posted Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links