need to know the best knot to use. Looked online at pro-knot and they have 100's of pictures. Do i use a clinch knot for tying everything -hooks, lures, swivels? I lost a jitterbug last week - in a basses mouth - so i don't know if it was a weak knot i had or the line was worn out at that spot. I feel bad for the fish, but i can't afford to replace a $5-6 dollar lure to often!

Posted Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:03 pm

I use any of the following three knots for tying my terminal tackle, hooks and lures.
(Uni Knot / Trilene Knot / Rapalla Knot)

Its good to know the other knots and how to tie them, but become an expert at tying least three differ knots and that should work for this.

Its also good to know the snelled and drop loop.

Good luck!

Posted Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:56 am

I will write those knots down and learn them. Thanks for sharing those brother!

Posted Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:43 pm

There should be no reason to use a swivel. Not only does it make your lure weaker & easier to lose. But it changes the action of your 7 dollar lure on top of weakening the action.
If you only use 1 pole (setup) then re-tying should be how you re-tie.
A real fisherman should be able to re-tie or have access to various fishing poles with lures.

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:07 am

WELCOME BACK! Glad to hear from ya! You are 100% correct, but some time we get lazy and cheat.

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:49 pm

The knot I use depends mostly on the type of line I'm using. I use a lot of braid, and when tying directly to a lure/hook I use a palomar knot. If using mono, I use an improved cinch most the time. And if tying a leader onto my braid, I use a uni to uni knot. Hope this helps.

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:17 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links