I thought I would bring this to the attenton of the forum. Last week, two boys drowned at Budd Lake while they were out ice fishing. I am saddened to hear this, but there are steps that should be taken before planning a trip on the ice. A minimum of 4" is safe. You can consult your local tackle shops for information regarding ice thickness. I believe that you can also contact respective County park Police and rangers at different state parks around the state, and they will let you know if and when the ice is safe.

Fish On and be safe this winter!

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:03 pm

First off, my prayers go out to the two boys and their families.

I personally won't go out onto the ice unless it's 5 to 6 inches thick. Water does not freeze evenly all the time. Many things can affect how it freezes, such as water depth, contour, water current, water temperature, water density underground springs, run off, stress on the ice, weather, and floating debris. Always check before venturing out onto the ice. Do not assume, because others are out on the ice that it is safe to be out there!

Prepare for the worst:
 Ask around about how thick the ice is
 Was the ice checked for thickness by authorizes
 Obey posted warning signs
 Make a test hole near shore to verify thickness

 Don’t venture out on the ice without …
A pair of ice claws
Glow stick
Whistle
Optional – Inflatable belt or vest

Enjoy the great outdoors this winter and be safe. Exclamation

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:28 pm

That was crazy as a pround parent I would never what to get that call. That why we got to show the kids how to be carefully out on the water ice fishing or regular fishing safety is first and have funny Is second. Can't wait for the weather to heat up so I can get out on the water wih the boys.

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:59 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links