I decided to drive to the vo-tech school lake, got there 615ish. Wound up at the farther end away from the road. There's a drain pipe there and a big bass usually lurks around there. Today, i found his big brother!!!
I was using my son's new pole (wormgear $20 ) it's not the best, but it works for him. I put on a hula popper and cast out 20 feet along the shoreline and let it stop in front of the pipe, about 8 feet from where i stood...3-4 seconds later, the water erupted and this BEAST of a bass was more than halfway out of the water - hula popper hooked on the side of his mouth! Before i could start to reel in...he turned his head left and my line snapped all the way down near the reel. This all happened in like 2 seconds, before i could react, it was over! It's still bothering me that i didn't catch him. He was the biggest bass i've ever seen jumping out of the water.
Found out later, that there's only 6 lb. test line on that damn pole- i use 10-12 lb test on my poles...NEVER AGAIN will i use that thing on this lake.
Going to go back there tomorrow night and catching that fish!!!
The lake is clean, the water is mostly clear, but murky near the drain pipes. I did check the line afterwards and it wasn't worn or nicked anywhere and looked to be in good condition, so it was a clean break

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Great story and a rollercoaster of emotions! Fish 1 vs Angler 0 Razz

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:03 am

Get back out there and land that puppy. Best of luck man.

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Yea been there bud . I wud say go out with a jig of some sort n fan cast near the shore n try snagging the line that still connected to the Lure . Or js look for the line floating on the water anywhere . Yea when using that light of line u gotta loosen the Drag to the point where u can pull it out with ur hand not too loose tho , thats why it snapped where it did tho . Goodluck n hope u get him

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:24 pm

forgot to put in the story that i got everything back - lure, swivel and 9 feet of line. After the fish submerged, the lure remained on the surface. Thanks for the info and encouragement. It was the 1st time using that rod/reel, so i didn't even think about loosening the drag. Lesson learned! Just got home so i didn't get to go fishing tonight, hope to get that fish tomorrow at some point

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 pm

went back to catch the beast - he wasn't in his usual area. Don't know if he was prowling another spot or just not in the mood, or someone caught him. i'll keep trying and let you know when i catch him!

Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Don't give up bro. You have to wait until the sun and the moon are in line, the weather is just right and you just happen to be fishing when he wants to give himself up to you. Good luck and tight lines!

Posted Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:57 am

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links