My son and i just started fishing this new pond/lake in voorhees and today we saw 2 huge carp swimming around. Jeremy saw 1 at the far end of the pond, he said it was about 3 1/2 - 4 feet long. It's the 1st time my boy used the F BOMB in front of me. He asked permission to say it, so i said yes and he said " Dad, that's the biggest F'N fish i've ever seen!" He was excited and scared at the same time. He's definitely obsessed with fishing.
The 1 i saw is at least 3 feet and looked like a blimp - what a big fat pig of a fish. How do i go about catching these beasts? I have some 15 lb test/mono, not sure if i have a strong enough reel. I know i gotta get some rotten smelling bait and some bigger hooks.
I'm guessing i'm gonna have to pick these things up by their gills and get a hand under their body for a picture....because i'm catching one of these things, they each have to be at least 20 pounds, maybe 25.
Any tips would be appreciated...do i keep the bale open and let them run with the bait, before i set the hook, do they have teeth, etc. Thanks in advance people

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:42 pm

Use as little weight as possible, just enough to keep the bait on the bottom.

Make sure you have a strong test line.

Make yourself some homemade carp bait, there are a lot of recipes on line.

Bait the hook, put it in a rod holder and leave it alone. (Single or treible)

Keep the bailer open or drag off and let it run before you set the hook.

You can also use a small bobber to seee the action, but the bait has to be kept on the bottom.

Once you set the hook, enjoy the ride, its usually not a short one.

GOOD LUCK Exclamation

You can also use a bow & arrow

Posted Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:47 am

Hey Jimbuoy - thanks for the tips on catching this thing - gonna look for some bait recipes and hopefully this weekend, i will catch it.

Posted Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Everything Jim said was great. I can offer just a couple of other suggestions, or options if you will.

Instead of using very little weight, try using a heavy weight on a a sinker slider. this will keep the bait close to the bottom yet allow the fish to run with it without detecting the weight.

Also, if your going to use a bobber, try using a slip bobber instead. This again will allow the fish to run a bit before detecting the resistance of the bobber.

Posted Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks for the additonal info kyle

Posted Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:55 pm

Be shure to use surf rods or carp rods, as they will tire the fish out quicker with the added length. Try chumming with corn or tiger nuts in a sling shot or spod. U can try the new power pro zero impact braid as well.

Posted Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:54 pm

thanks crappieking for the extra tips. Plan to get back there this weekend ( hopefully ) and see what happens.

Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Be a man and use a regular pole. The fish is suppose to tire you out. You need to experience the excitemnet and the trill of the hunt! GOOD LUCK!

SCORE
Fish1 - Angler 0

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:33 pm

i've decided to go old school- get some goggles and just jump in and track that thing down, wrestle him up to the surface for a picture and let him go!

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:04 pm

You forgot to do your turleman YELL after the capture! Laughing

Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Any luck catching that carp?

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:19 pm

no luck yet - we haven't been back there in a couple of weeks, plannng to go this sat. or sunday. Hoping to buy a nicer reel to handle the weight. I have a few really nice poles, but crappy reels. Caught a 2+ pound bass yesterday and the reel i have was straining and would barely crank. If i get a 5 pounder, i doubt the reel would survive the catch.

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:35 pm

Don't forget to updated us on your attempts, so we can updated the score board. lol Very Happy

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:27 am

I hear ya. I am one of those over dowers, you know out there with 40# braiding and big rod trying to catch a channel catfish, which don’t get much bigger than 10#......but a guy can have dream right…. It’s the same diameter as 8# mono, no one can tell its 40# and I have to make up for my horrible knot skills somehow… Laughing

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Hey jimbuoy - that's funny! and the fish can't have any points, unless i have him hooked and he gets away - so the score is still 0-0 for now!!!

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:14 pm

NJ Fish Finder

Social Links